Surviving the Holidays with Diabetes is a Family Affair
Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE – Dietitian, Diabetes Educator, and Mom
Make peace with carbs: Just because you or your loved one has Diabetes, it doesn’t mean carbohydrates are the enemy.
- Plan ahead by counting carbohydrates and spreading them out throughout the day.
- Make carbohydrates like pasta and rice, a side dish rather than the entrée.
Designate Dessert: If you love sweets, include them in your intake.
- Rather than feel deprived and end up binging, plan your piece of cake. Eat protein and veggies for your entrée and use your carbs for dessert.
- The family chef can make mini desserts or just make less dessert, avoiding temptation.
Walk Your Sugar Down: Moving after a meal is helpful to reduce blood glucose.
- After the holiday meal, get your entire family up and out to see holiday decorations or have a snowball fight.
- Walking and or light exercise helps to lower your blood glucose and consequently your insulin.
It’s a Family Affair: If you or your loved one has Diabetes, have the entire family engaged and have everyone eat as if they had Diabetes.
- It’s sabotage to offer the rest of the guests food that someone else can’t have. If the family eats the same foods, pasta as the side rather than the entrée, no one will feel left out and no one will be tempted to overload on carbohydrates.
- Family member are genetically at risk for Diabetes. If the whole family eats in a balanced manner, you will be helping to prevent their chances of Diabetes later in life.
Mix Your Meals: Eat carbohydrates, proteins and fat together.
- Protein and fat take longer to digest. If you eat your carbohydrates with these foods, the carbs will be digested slowly and your blood sugar less likely to spike.
- Mixing meals and snacks help to regulate blood sugar and hormones and consequently help to keep you feeling satiated longer.
- Shrimp Cocktail with cocktail sauce
- Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
- Hummus with veggies and warm whole wheat pita
- Mini turkey meatballs with marinara
- Veggie and low fat cheese napoleons