Celebrate Spring with Fresh Fruits and Veggies!
What’s in season for Spring in New York?
Early Spring Fennel, Garden Peas, Parsnips, Snow Peas,Turnips
Mid Spring Asparagus, Lettuce, Radishes, Rhubarb, Spinach
Late Spring Apricots, Broccoli, Cabbage, Strawberries, Summer Squash
Here’s a nutritious kid-friendly recipe using one of my favorite Spring fruits: Whole Wheat Strawberry Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- (Serves 2)
- Directions: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the oil and milk, whisking until all the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. Fold in the strawberries. Heat frying pan over medium-low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and cook until there are bubbles on the surface and the edges start to firm up, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is nicely browned, about 1-2 minutes. Serve with a glass of low-fat milk and extra strawberries for a delicious breakfast the whole family can enjoy!
- Recipe adapted from Savvy Eat