This is a big week for holiday parties and holiday planning. Read my 7 tips to get your through the next weeks leading up to the New Year!!
Staying Healthy During the Holidays
By: Laura Cipullo RD CDE
- Be the Tupperware Lady– bring Tupperware to family events to pack leftovers or “seconds” and bring home to eat another time.
- Rather than overeat on delicious food, plan to use hunger fullness cues. Pack the remainders up for a mini holiday dinner part II.
- Holidays typically revolve around gifts and food, so why not give a gift about being healthy and moderate? Healthy cookbook ideas are the Mayo Clinic Williams – Sonoma Cookbook and Martha Stewart’s Healthy Quick Cook
- Serve a simple meal and focus on entertainment like music and or trivial pursuit.
- Be economical and bring leftovers home to eat at the next day’s snack or meal.
- If dessert is your favorite, don’t fill up on apps and entrees. Make sure you are still hungry for your chocolate cake!!
- Restriction cause binging, don’t restrict the day of a special event. You are likely to overeat or even binge later that night.
- Take your sip of wine with your entrée. If you drink on an empty stomach you will not be mindful of your internal or external cues.
- Most importantly, don’t drink and drive.